* BIG!NYC's reuse centers are on their way to divert 4,000,000 pounds of usable building materials from the landfill in 2013.
* Our diversion rate reduces climate change emission by 3,200 MTCOE, which is like saving 360,000 gallons of gas.
* BIG!Compost has diverted 267,230 pounds of food scraps and given away 159,240 pounds of compost and 49,620 pounds of mulch so far this year.
* BIG!Blooms has given away 5,345 pieces of retired lumber to build 2,226 garden beds in over 1,269 community and school gardens in NYC.
* BIG!Gives Back has given away $300,000 worth of materials benefiting NYC's community and environment.
The BIG!NYC Calendar has moved to our EVENTS page.
- Community outreach about reuse/recycling and waste issues in NYC.
- Design (Adobe Design Suite, preferred) for posters, fliers, signage and more.
- Social Media and Website management and development. Including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Flickr, and more.
- Write and distribute press updates to local media contacts. Organize media contact lists for print, online, events, etc.
- Research projects about waste issues, reuse projects, review bars/restaurants/businesses that have used materials purchased from Build It Green!NYC.
- Creative writing and editorial opportunities for weekly newsletter, press/media outreach and/or news articles for website.
- Special project: research (online and in person) customers who have businesses/restaurants/offices that utilized BIG!NYC materials and document for a "Projects" section of our website.
Marketing internships are available Monday through Friday, 10am-6pm (during regular reuse center hours) and will be primarily based in Astoria, Queens with some days in Gowanus, Brooklyn. Some weekends will be available for outreach events in the warmer months.
How can I apply for a Build It Green!NYC Internship?
Applications will be accepted, and positions filled, on a rolling basis. Applications will be accepted by email only. Include a cover letter, resume, two reference contacts, dates available, and estimated time commitment per week. All internship applicants should indicate the area or areas in which they would like to work; location preference/flexibility; and any foreign language skills they have.
This is an unpaid internship.