* BIG!NYC's reuse centers are on their way to divert 4,000,000 pounds of usable building materials from the landfill in 2013.
* Our diversion rate reduces climate change emission by 3,200 MTCOE, which is like saving 360,000 gallons of gas.
* BIG!Compost has diverted 267,230 pounds of food scraps and given away 159,240 pounds of compost and 49,620 pounds of mulch so far this year.
* BIG!Blooms has given away 5,345 pieces of retired lumber to build 2,226 garden beds in over 1,269 community and school gardens in NYC.
* BIG!Gives Back has given away $300,000 worth of materials benefiting NYC's community and environment.
The BIG!NYC Calendar has moved to our EVENTS page.
BIG!NYC is now accepting resumes for Spring 2014 internships:
- Donations Acqusitions Internship
- Marketing Internship
- Reuse Center Internship
- Compost Internship (no fall 2013 opportunities)
Build It Green!NYC is always looking for competent and committed volunteers and interns to help us do our work. BIG!NYC is a fast-paced, creative environment. This is the perfect fit for a student looking to gain real-world experience. While the internship is unpaid, BIG!NYC can offer class credit. Interns are given a large amount of responsibility, and most intern positions require a 10-20 hour commitment per week for the school year, or at 24 hours per week during the summer months.
Interns will gain experience working on the ground in the effort to create a greener built environment in NYC. Build It Green!NYC Interns receive close supervision and work side by side with staff members working on important issues and projects. Interns will participate in staff meetings at which strategy is determined and plans are made. The internships will typically be a mix of policy, writing, marketing mixed with organizing the warehouse and other administrative tasks. But you will be appreciated, and more responsibility will be offered depending on the length of your internship, and if you’re up for it.
Areas of work
Marketing - Policy - Reuse of Building Materials - Retail and Warehouse organization - Educational - Event Organizing - Deconstruction - Donations - Composting - Outreach - Social Media - Hands On Projects
Who can apply for internships?
You do not have to be currently enrolled as a student to be an intern. A significant time commitment, however, is required. Internships are unpaid. Successful candidates must have the following skills:
- Some knowledge of and commitment to the environment and green building.
- Strong written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proficiency in standard office computer and internet programs.
- The ability to thrive in a chaotic, somewhat dirty, and non-climate controlled environment - We have two warehouses, after all!
How can I apply for a Build It Green!NYC Internship?
Applications will be accepted, and positions filled, on a rolling basis. Applications will be accepted by email only. Include a cover letter, resume, two reference contacts, dates available, and estimated time commitment per week. All internship applicants should indicate the area or areas in which they would like to work; any foreign language skills they have; and whether they have obtained fellowship sponsorship.
Applications should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Specific internships, based on current operational requirements, may be advertised below. Internships are unpaid.