& Sat-Sun 10am-5pm
In 2012 BIG!NYC:
* Diverted 1,200 tons of reuseable building materials from the landfill
* Donated over 57 tons of lumber to community & school gardens. That's 1,200 raised garden beds in NYC!
* Gave away $58,780 worth of materials to local organizations.
5/19 MAKESHIFT DIY Chair Workshop & Exhibition @ BIG!NYC Gowanus (5-8pm). Free Party with Krrb & Alabama Chanin!
5/21 BIG!Compost Volunteer Orientation @ LIC (6:30-8pm). RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
5/28 BIG!Workshops: Know Your Tools: Women & Trans Tool 101 @ BIG!NYC Gowanus (6:30-8pm)
6/8 BIG!Workshops: Scaffolding Lumber Benches with Spark Workshops @ BIG!NYC Gowanus (11:30am-1:30pm)
6/15,22,29 BIG!Workshops: Make Your Own Folding Stool with Mr. Fox @ BIG!NYC Gowanus (3 sessions; 12:30-2pm)
How to donate
Donors to BIG!NYC can look forward to:
- Receiving a tax-deductible receipt for donated materials (for more info on your tax deduction, visit irs.gov)
- Reducing waste-disposal costs
- Supporting community development & creating local green jobs
- Improving the environment and reducing unnecessary pressure on our landfills.
BIG!NYC offers three donations options: Drop Off, Free Pick Up, and Deconstruction. Please read below to see if your materials qualify for donation.
Drop Off Donations:
- Drop off materials during our regular store hours, up to 30 minutes before closing.
- Check our List of Accepted Items to make sure your materials are acceptable.
- If you are not sure your donations are acceptable, fill out our webform for confirmation.
- BIG!NYC reserves the right to turn away the donation of materials that do not meet our standards.
Free Pick Up Service:
Build It Green!NYC provides a free limited pickup service on most weekdays. If your donation qualifies for our pickup service, BIG!NYC requires that someone is available at the site of the pickup on the specified day between the hours of 10am-4pm. Our drivers will alert you as they are approaching the site. BIG!NYC also requires that everything that was agreed upon when your donation was scheduled, is actually donated. If items that were offered are taken off the list, the Donations Manager needs to be notified BEFORE your scheduled pick-up time, to see if you still qualify for free our pickup service. If we arrive at your location and the donation has been misrepresented or changed appreciably, we reserve the right to decline your donation.
To find out if your donation qualifies for our free pick up service, please click below:
Architects, film and set strikes, building developers, liquidation and clean outs, plus any other large or complicated donations, please email email@example.com or call 718.777.0132 x22.
Please include the following information in your email:
- Photographs of the items you would like to donate;
- Description of the item(s) - dimensions, condition, etc.;
- Your contact information - name, phone number, including pick-up location/borough;
The more information you provide, the more efficiently we can process your request and your donation receipt.
*Please note, we experience a high volume of calls, please be patient while we respond to all inquiries in order. BIG!NYC does not offer weekend pick up service.
Deconstruction is the selective and careful dismantling of buildings to maximize re-use and recycling rates. Build It Green!NYC's Deconstruction Team can professionally dismantle anything from a kitchen to a whole house, uninstalling the items carefully and removing the items as a tax deductible donation. Decon is also your best environmental, and often financial, alternative to the landfill! Click here to learn more about our Deconstruction service.
Additional Donation Information:
Donate reusable building materials that you no longer need to Build It Green!NYC for a tax-deductible receipt (CEC is a 501c(3) nonprofit organization). Please be aware that materials are accepted at our staff's discretion.