* BIG!NYC's reuse centers are on their way to divert 4,000,000 pounds of usable building materials from the landfill in 2013.
* Our diversion rate reduces climate change emission by 3,200 MTCOE, which is like saving 360,000 gallons of gas.
* BIG!Compost has diverted 267,230 pounds of food scraps and given away 159,240 pounds of compost and 49,620 pounds of mulch so far this year.
* BIG!Blooms has given away 5,345 pieces of retired lumber to build 2,226 garden beds in over 1,269 community and school gardens in NYC.
* BIG!Gives Back has given away $300,000 worth of materials benefiting NYC's community and environment.
The BIG!NYC Calendar has moved to our EVENTS page.
BIG!Blooms Helps Gardens Grow!
Last season, East New York Farms! acquired scaffolding lumber from Build It Green!NYC, via our BIG!Blooms donation program. With the next growing season on the horizon, East New York Farms! has returned to our BIG!Blooms program to pick up more lumber for their community garden.
Dennis, an East New York Farms! urban farmer is featured in the photo above, beside his garden bed. He and his wife sell every Saturday at East New York Farms! summer market. According to Urban Agriculture Coordinator, Deborah Greig, "[Dennis and Marlene] grow wonderful Caribbean crops (scoth bonnet peppers, bitter melon, callaloo, etc). They've been with us at least 11 years." Deborah continues," [they] were able to produce a lot more this season with the help of your lumber!"
If you're local community or school garden is seeking lumber to build raised garden beds, please have them apply for Build It Green!NYC's BIG!Blooms program!
East New York Farmers Market is hosted at 613 New Lots Ave., in Brooklyn, every Saturday July-November.