* BIG!NYC's reuse centers are on their way to divert 4,000,000 pounds of usable building materials from the landfill in 2013.
* Our diversion rate reduces climate change emission by 3,200 MTCOE, which is like saving 360,000 gallons of gas.
* BIG!Compost has diverted 267,230 pounds of food scraps and given away 159,240 pounds of compost and 49,620 pounds of mulch so far this year.
* BIG!Blooms has given away 5,345 pieces of retired lumber to build 2,226 garden beds in over 1,269 community and school gardens in NYC.
* BIG!Gives Back has given away $300,000 worth of materials benefiting NYC's community and environment.
The BIG!NYC Calendar has moved to our EVENTS page.
Astoria's Morning Commuters Now Have a New Drop Off Spot for Their Food Scraps!
Build It Green!NYC's compost program, BIG!Compost, has initiated the Broadway N/Q Commuter Composting Pilot! Our newest food scrap drop-off site furthers our mission of diverting waste from landfills while increasing opportunities for NYC residents to compost locally.
The new Commuter Composting Pilot is located just outside the entrance of the Broadway N/Q subway station on 31st Street, across from Rite Aid. This site is open on Tuesdays from 8am-10am. For a list of what you can compost, please visit: www.bignyc.org/compost.
So, if you're on your way to the N/Q subway at Broadway, or if you live in the area, remember to bring along your frozen food scraps to drop off. You can also stop by to learn more about composting!
BIG!Compost hopes to see you there!
This article was written by BIG!Compost intern, Gentiana Quni.