* BIG!NYC's reuse centers are on their way to divert 4,000,000 pounds of usable building materials from the landfill in 2013.
* Our diversion rate reduces climate change emission by 3,200 MTCOE, which is like saving 360,000 gallons of gas.
* BIG!Compost has diverted 267,230 pounds of food scraps and given away 159,240 pounds of compost and 49,620 pounds of mulch so far this year.
* BIG!Blooms has given away 5,345 pieces of retired lumber to build 2,226 garden beds in over 1,269 community and school gardens in NYC.
* BIG!Gives Back has given away $300,000 worth of materials benefiting NYC's community and environment.
The BIG!NYC Calendar has moved to our EVENTS page.
Common Inventory Items
Build It Green!NYC has 35,000 square feet in Queens, and 21,000 square feet in Brooklyn of pure building material joy! In all of New York City, you won't find a better and cheaper selection than the BIG!NYC reuse centers. If you come to shop, you can't be sure of what you'll find, but you can count on our inventory being similar to the list below.
NOTE: This is a list of things we *PROBABLY* have on any given day. Please call 718-777-0132 x2 for information on current inventory in our Astoria, Queens reuse center, or 718-725-8925 x2 for inventory inquires in Gowanus, Brooklyn.
Common Items for sale:
Appliances, Furnaces, Woodstoves, Furniture
- Appliances - less than 4yrs old pref. w/Energy Star and also antiques: dishwashers, refrigerators, stoves, washers and dryers, ovens, range hoods, air conditioners
- Water Heaters - Gas, less than 4yrs old w/Energy Star
- Woodstoves - DEC certified or working antiques
- Furniture - Tables, chairs, dressers, beds, desks, filing cabinets, shelves, bookshelves, end tables, futons, restaurant furniture
- Screen - Aluminum
- Security - Steel
- Solid Core
- Hollow core - pre-hung and unpainted
- Inside, Outside, Painted, Unpainted, French, Panel, Flat door, Theater Doors, Prop Doors, Glass Doors, Metal Doors, Fire Doors, Door Frames
- T& G Wood - min. 2′ or longer
- Carpet - new, min. 8′ x 8′ or suitable as a runner
- Parquet - new except vintage
- Manufactured - new
- Vinyl rolls - new, min. 6′ x 6′
- Tiles - Ceramic with no cracks, excess grout, cement
- Tiles - Vinyl - new tile - bathroom tile, kitchen tile
Kitchen & Bathroom Cabinets
- Wood - All types and qualities
- Metal - favorite of movie sets
Wood - no bowing, water damage, rot
- Trim - min length 6′
- Lumber - no nails, at least 6′
- Lumber - 2x4, 2x8, 2x6, 2x10, 1x2, 1x3, 1x4, 1x6 -- all conditions;
- Lumber - with nails, at least 10′
- Siding - Wood, at least 4′
- Lumber/Pressure treated - no nails at least 6′
- Luan - at least 4′ x 8′
- Plywood - at least 4′ x 4′
- Other sheet goods
- Ceiling Fans - less than 5 yrs old; except working antiques
- Florescent light bulbs & fixtures - T-8 and electronic ballasts
- Lighting - less than 5 yrs old; except working antiques
Plumbing Fixtures - no stains, scratches, excess caulking
- Faucets - less than 5 yrs old; except working antiques
- Sinks - standard colors; porcelain, stainless steel
- Sinks - Commercial/Restaurant
- Tubs - standard colors, porcelain or new plastic bathtubs, including jacuzzi tubs and cast iron tubs
Toilets - standard colors with lid, 1.6 gallons or less/flush; except
Baseboards/Radiators - new or perfect condition
Windows - no broken seals or fogging
- Thermal Double Pane - Vinyl, Wood, Aluminum
Miscellaneous Building Materials
- Sheetrock - at least 4′ x 6′
- Blinds - wooden
- Cement, mortar, drywall mud - Unopened bags
- Counter tops - marble/stone, metal, wood
- Curtain rods - wooden, metal
- Insulation - new
- Paint - latex or spray only, less than 1yr old, no rust on can
- Shower doors - no missing parts
- Shutters - wooden
- Tools - Hand & Power
Film and Television Materials
- Set Flats - 4 x 8, 4 x 10, and Miscellaneous Sizes
- Jacks - To hold up flats
- Props - Lots of Weird, Unique, and Vintage Items
- Furniture - From lots of different time periods, for instance, we might have an old chair, bed, refrigerator, table, dishwasher, washer, dryer, oven, stove, range, television, lamp, light fixture, chandelier, countertop, door, etc.