* BIG!NYC's reuse centers are on their way to divert 4,000,000 pounds of usable building materials from the landfill in 2013.
* Our diversion rate reduces climate change emission by 3,200 MTCOE, which is like saving 360,000 gallons of gas.
* BIG!Compost has diverted 267,230 pounds of food scraps and given away 159,240 pounds of compost and 49,620 pounds of mulch so far this year.
* BIG!Blooms has given away 5,345 pieces of retired lumber to build 2,226 garden beds in over 1,269 community and school gardens in NYC.
* BIG!Gives Back has given away $300,000 worth of materials benefiting NYC's community and environment.
The BIG!NYC Calendar has moved to our EVENTS page.
New Vendor Confirmed for Crafted at the Canal: Coil + Drift
Spotted frequently at Build It Green!NYC is John Sorensen-Jolink, owner of Coil + Drift, a one-man company that makes furniture from reuse materials. His tables, desks, and shelves can be spotted in homes and industries across the city, each made to order with salvaged lumber or metal. A long-time builder and tinkerer, he believes in finding the beauty in old materials and expressing that to make something new-- and the new pieces that he makes are proving to be popular.
John applies his training as a dancer and choreographer to his construction; using his spatial awareness to influence his designs. His pieces emphasize color and negative space, and are more often than not multi-use; a dining room table with adjustable legs can be shortened to a coffee table as needed, while that same design can be made to a kitchen island or desk with ease. He believes that the fewer pieces of furniture we as a society need, the more sustainable we can be, whether in cozy city apartments that may not have any room to spare or out in the more spacious countryside. He aims for "industrial sophistication" with his pieces, which are done by commission using whatever reclaimed or salvaged materials he can get. His latest project had him at Build It Green!NYC for a reclaimed church pew, which will eventually end up in two different shelving units and a desk.
UPDATE: Coil + Drift will be a vendor at BIG!NYC's Crafted at the Canal event on Friday, December 7th from 6-10pm and Saturday, December 8th from 10am-5pm. John plans to debut his new line of Porter Bicycle Crates! Be sure to check him out at the fair!